Sylvinho sacked as Lyon boss after derby defeat
Olympique Lyon have terminated the former Arsenal player's contract with the Ligue 1 side with Sunday's defeat to Saint Etienne proving to be the Brazilian's final game in charge.
Olympique Lyon have decided to sack Brazilian coach Sylvinho and confirmed the news with an official communique issued late on Monday night.
The side currently lie 14th in Ligue 1 and the tipping point in making the decision was Sunday's derby defeat away to Saint-Etienne (1-0). The club are now just one point ahead of Dijon in the automatic relegation zone with both sides set to face one another when the competition resumes after the international break.
L’OL a décidé de mettre en œuvre une procédure pouvant aboutir à la rupture du contrat de travail de Monsieur Sylvio Mendes Campo Júnior.— Olympique Lyonnais (@OL) October 7, 2019
Pendant le déroulé de cette procédure l’entraînement sera assuré par Monsieur Gérald Baticle sous la direction du directeur sportif Juninho. pic.twitter.com/TMGzMwDVtI
Sylvio Mendes Campo Junior (Sylvinho) was brought in as coach this summer by new sporting director and former Lyon legend Juninho with Olympique Lyonnais commencing positively to the start of the new season securing two big wins, against Monaco (3-0) and Angers (6-0). The side then hit a seven game win-less slump with the side delivering disappointing domestic performances. Gérald Baticle will oversee the side in the short term as the club now look for a replacement for the former Arsenal player.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID James won't play for Real Madrid again and is looking for a new club
- Fred issues Man Utd Europa League warning
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Man City vs Real Madrid, Juventus vs Lyon
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane