Ramos wants to play in Euros and Olympic games this summer
The Real Madrid player wants to play in the Euros, which he has already won, but he wants to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games in Japan this summer too.
Sergio Ramos has a new goal. After winning the World Cup, the Euros, the Champions League amongst many other titles and trophies, the Real Madrid defender and captain wants an Olympic gold medal. According to El Mundo, Ramos has the intention to play in this summer's Euros and the Olympic Games 2020 in Japan.
The team for the Olympic games is typically made up of under 23s but Ramos' arrival will work. You can have three players over the age of 23 in your squad. Although it's not typical in Spain, Neymar played in the Olympics with Brazil in 2016 and came out of that with a gold medal. Ramos wants to do the same in Tokyo.
If it is possible, Ramos will have to get permission from Real Madrid to start the preseason a little late next season. With the demands he plans on placing on himself, he will need extra recovery to ensure he is rested and ready for the 2020-21 season.
On June 12, the Euros starts and, all going to plan, Spain could play in a final a month later. Just 10 days after that, the Olympics starts and the final of that competition is played on 8 August. That leaves a window of just two weeks before the start of LaLiga if the domestic campaign starts at the same time as this season.
Ramos is not the only footballer at the top level who is looking at winning gold this summer. Kylian Mbappé said he would like to fight for a medal in Tokyo this summer too. "There will be different ways to get the Ballon d'Or. The Champions League, Ligue 1 and also the Olympic Games in 2020," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA and HEALS Act live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news
- Stimulus check Stimulus check: how to report missing payments and mistakes to the IRS
- Coronavirus USA Stimulus check schedule: when could second round be voted on, passed and paid?
- CORONAVIRUS BioVyzr: the futuristic helmet to protect against Covid-19
- Barcelona Barcelona: Pochettino open to coaching Messi at Camp Nou