Kepa Arrizabalaga would like a return to Athletic Bilbao
First-choice Spain and Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa didn't rule out the possibility of playing for the Basque club again.
Kepa Arrizabalaga claims he would like to return to Athletic Bilbao one day.
Kepa not a Chelsea keeper, maybe
The Spain international left the Basque club in 2018 to join Chelsea, which ended a 14-year spell with the club after he joined the youth ranks of at age nine.
Kepa, 25, commanded a record transfer fee for a goalkeeper at the time, and has since become first choice goalkeeper for Spain head coach Robert Moreno, but admits a return to Los Leones is a possibility.
"Of course I would like to return to Athletic," he told Spanish football show El Chiringuito.
"I don’t know when or how or what, but playing at Athletic obviously I’d like that. I have great memories."
The Chelsea stopper also reflected on the heavy speculation that saw him come close to joining Real Madrid in January 2018.
Kepa eventually re-signed with Bilbao in that window with the intention of staying at the club, before departing to Chelsea the following summer.
"For several months my grandma saw more of me in the newspapers than in the flesh," he said.
"There was a lot of talk about me. I was also injured for a while so it wasn't a good moment for me.
"My contract was due to expire and from January onwards I was able to start talking to other clubs.
"I couldn’t see myself joining [another] club. I ended up renewing my contract with the idea of staying, but six months later I left. That was the only contraction."
Spain continue their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign away in Norway on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo inspired Man United move - Bruno Fernandes
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo to drop down to Castilla
- Chivas beats Xolos in Tijuana in the beginning of the 7th week of the Clausura 2020
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid players who will be out of contract in 2021
- MLS Jürgen Damm could sign with a MLS team in July
- LALIGA SANTANDER Levante vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online