Cavani: Atlético to go all out for PSG striker in January
The Atlético board and Diego Simeone are apparently in agreement that the solution to the side's lack of goals needs addressing sooner rather than later.
Atlético Madrid have managed just seven league goals in eight games this season as Diego Simeone tries to work out how to get the best out of his attacking triumvirate of Joao Félix, Diego Costa and Álvaro Morata, but it seems the Argentinean may have alighted on an alternative solution: PSG striker Edinson Cavani.
The Uruguay international is no stranger to Atlético’s shopping list, having been linked with the club several times over the past year, but Simeone is apparently mulling a move in January as he seeks to shake up his forward line. Where that leaves Costa, who has emerged as a target for Al Rayyan, remains to be seen but the Spain forward has been far from his belligerent best since returning to the fold from Chelsea.
Morata has also tailed off this season after a promising start to life at Atlético when he joined from Stamford Bridge on loan and he and Costa have scored two goals between them in all competitions this season – the same number as defensive midfielder Thomas.
Simeone after firepower and Cavani out of contract
Simeone appeared to be unsure of the potency of his attack in the summer when Atlético launched a bid for Spain and Valencia striker Rodrigo, which ultimately collapsed at the 11th hour.
Manchester United are also considering Cavani’s situation – the 32-year-old is out of contract and will be available on a free next summer – prompting Simeone to up the ante with a bid in January. Given his age and contractual situation around 20-30 million would probably tempt PSG to do business if they are willing to sell, but Cavani is the club’s top scorer of all time and a fan favourite, so the option of an extension at the Parc des Princes cannot be ruled out.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"