Barcelona: Rakitic walks home on bypass as El Prat traffic blocked
Ivan Rakitic was among those affected after traffic to and from El Prat Airport was cut off by protests against the jailing of separatist leaders.
Barcelona's Ivan Rakitic was photographed making his way home on foot from the city's El Prat Airport after mass protests blocked traffic in Catalonia on Monday.
Protests erupt after independence leaders jailed
The airport was among the sites targeted by demonstrators as they expressed their anger at the Spanish Supreme Court's decision to jail nine Catalan separatist leaders for between nine and 13 years for their role in a 2017 attempt to unilaterally break away from Spain.
Rakitic seen walking away from airport along hard shoulder
Having arrived back in Barcelona from international duty with Croatia, the 31-year-old midfielder was snapped by the Twitter user @PREC96 walking along the hard shoulder of a busy bypass leading away from El Prat.
Rakitic appeared in both of Croatia's Euro 2020 qualifiers this international week, starting Thursday's 3-0 win over Hungary and coming on as a substitute in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Wales.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online & coronavirus: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks & latest news
- FOOTBALL Jorge Jesus was a better coach than José Mourinho - Julio César
- LIGUE 1 PSG: Mbappé's future is already mapped out and that's sad - Rami
- Manchester United It's down to me to show the real Anthony Martial - Man Utd forward aiming to rediscover form
- FOOTBALL Bayern: Coman wants another treble, but this time with fans
- JUVENTUS-BARCELONA Arthur-Pjanic swap deal isn't going to plan in Turin or Barcelona