Ligue 1: Rudy García replaces sacked Sylvinho at Lyon
Rudi García has taken over as head coach at Lyon despite his chequered history with Jean-Michael Aulas, the club's president.
Lyon have confirmed the appointment of Rudi García as head coach on a deal reportedly running until June 2021.
The former Lille, Roma and Marseille boss replaces Sylvinho, who was sacked last week less than five months on from succeeding Bruno Génésio.
García appointed despite Blanc, Mourinho links
Laurent Blanc and José Mourinho were linked to the role, but a recruitment panel headed up by sporting director Juninho Pernambucano and including Gerard Houllier "unanimously" agreed on García.
The 55-year-old won a domestic double in charge of Lille in 2010-11 and led Marseille to the Europa League final two seasons ago.
His appointment comes as something of a surprise given his chequered history with Lyon president Jean-Michael Aulas.
In April 2018, Aulas blasted the "arrogance" of the then-Marseille boss, who suggested Lyon got preferential treatment from referees, amid a battle between the clubs for Champions League qualification.
Juninho said: "I chose Rudi García because he is a fighter who, like us, has the ambition to win titles and succeed on the European stage.
"He is an experienced coach who has already won trophies. During my various interviews, I had a real football connection with him. We speak the same language in terms of tactics and style."
García stepped down from his position with Marseille at the end of last term.
To be unveiled by Lyon on Tuesday
He will be presented to the media at a news conference on Tuesday.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Inter Miami will allow fans to attend match against Orlando City
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Latest News USA When does daylight saving time end in the USA and when do the clocks go back?
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why is McConnell advising against the deal?
- Football Raja Casablanca petition CAF to postpone Zamalek match