El Clasico: Real Madrid prefer to reschedule and play at Camp Nou
Sources at the Bernabéu consulted by AS say that moving the game could adversely affect the league; Madrid are open to a change of date but not venue.
Real Madrid have made no official statement regarding the possibility of moving the Clásico scheduled for 26 October from Camp Nou to the Bernabéu amid ongoing unrest in the Catalonia region but club sources consulted by AS see the idea as being extremely complicated.
Firstly, Madrid consider that moving the two Clásico fixtures around – the Bernabéu game is due to be played on 1 March – could affect other clubs and the balance of the Liga competition this season. Madrid currently hold a two-point lead over Barça and the loss of home advantage would certainly be detrimental to the reigning champions.
The same sources also said that ongoing refurbishment work at the Bernabéu could be hampered by moving the game.
Madrid open to rescheduling Clásico
The Bernabéu board have instead not ruled out agreeing to reschedule the fixture for another date given the seriousness of the situation in Catalonia following the jailing earlier this week of political leaders involved in the 2017 referendum and declaration of independence in the northeastern region.
The sources also confirmed that Madrid will not accept any other course of action that prevents the game from being staged at Camp Nou.
Te recomendamos en English
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY International Women's Day: meaning, origin and why it's celebrated today
- FOOTBALL Mourinho: Bale over psychological scars of past injuries
- IWD2021 What is the International Women’s Day 2021 theme?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Giannis wasn't focused on perfect performance after MVP display inspires Team LeBron
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 LeBron 'in awe' of Antetokounmpo and Curry
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: who gets the payment, how much, who qualifies, IRS tax | Live