Icardi defends Lukaku from early Inter Milan criticism
Romelu Lukaku has scored only three times since signing for Inter but predecessor Mauro Icardi has come to his defence.
Mauro Icardi rejected criticism of Romelu Lukaku's performances since joining Inter and expects the Belgium striker to find form for the Nerazzuri.
Lukaku has replaced Icardi at the head of the Inter attack, signing a five-year contract with the Serie A club in a reported €80 million transfer from Manchester United in August.
He has scored only three goals in eight appearances but Icardi, who last month left Inter for Paris Saint-Germain in a loan deal that can be made permanent, does not believe Lukaku has endured a poor start to life in Italian football.
"It doesn't seem to me that he's experiencing a moment of difficulty," Icardi told Gazzetta dello Sport. "In fact, I think he's started well, scoring a couple of goals immediately.
"It's not easy for anyone to play in Italy. Serie A is the most defensive championship in Europe.
"Maybe he needs a little more time to settle in, but he's already scored a lot of goals in his career. And he will do it again."
Icardi is not focused on what his future may hold, instead concentrating solely on his form for PSG. The Argentina international has scored two goals in four games for the defending Ligue 1 champions.
"This year, I'm at PSG and my goal is to give my best for this shirt," Icardi added,
"Then at the end of the season, around May or June, we'll see what happens. It's still too early to say anything."
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League The Sun: Raul Jimenez is in Arsenal’s radar
- Liga MX Liga MX is one of the top 5 most important leagues in the world
- LIGUE 1 Nantes unveil new kit in honour of the late Emiliano Sala
- MLS David Beckham’s Inter Miami looking to make six signings
- 2022 WORLD CUP QATAR Aubameyang to face Salah in World Cup qualifying
- COPA DEL REY Shinji Kagawa and Zaragoza come out on top in Copa del Rey battle with Take Kubo's Mallorca