Alexis Sanchez ankle surgery goes "exactly as planned"
Inter have confirmed Alexis Sanchez has undergone successful surgery after damaging a tendon in his left ankle while on international duty.
Inter forward Alexis Sanchez has undergone successful surgery on his injured left ankle, the Serie A club have confirmed.
Sanchez was substituted late in Chile's friendly win over Colombia on Saturday, with a dislocated joint causing damage to his peroneus longus tendon.
The 30-year-old travelled to Barcelona on Wednesday for a consultation with professor Ramon Cugat and it was decided the issue should be operated on.
A statement on Inter's official website read: "The visit [with Cugat] confirmed the diagnosis of the Inter medical staff and the decision was made to proceed with surgery on the left ankle.
| UPDATE@Alexis_Sanchez underwent surgery on his left ankle earlier on todayOctober 16, 2019
"The operation was performed in the afternoon on the peroneus longus tendon and it went exactly as planned."
Sanchez, who joined Inter on a season-long loan from Manchester United in August, is expected to miss three months of action.
The ex-Arsenal star has made four appearances for Antonio Conte's side this term, scoring one goal in Serie A, though he was sent off later in the same match against Sampdoria.
Te recomendamos en English
- Brazil vs Argentina Brazil vs Argentina: most valuable starting XIs
- Brazil Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar: Pelé picks his preferred partner
- Barcelona Barcelona: Luis Suárez says Camp Nou need to find a new striker
- PSG Mbappé: PSG star to ignore Real Madrid and stay in Paris
- International football Maradona, Pelé: Brazil Argentina all-time best combined XI
- International Friendly Gaza violence puts Argentina-Uruguay friendly under threat