Copa Libertadores: Maracanã confirmed as 2020 final venue
The famous Rio arena has been named as the venue for next year's final, with Córdoba, Argentina, to hold the Copa Sudamericana showpiece.
South American football's governing body, CONMEBOL, has announced that the Maracanã in Brazil will host the final of the 2020 Copa Libertadores. Meanwhile, the final of the continent's second-tier club competition, the Copa Sudamericana, will be played at the Estadio Mario Kempes in Córdoba, Argentina.
Cities will host second ever single-game finals
Rio de Janeiro and Córdoba will follow in the footsteps of Santiago, Chile, and Asunción, Paraguay, which next month will be the venues for the first ever single-game finals in the Libertadores and Sudamericana, respectively. Since their creation, both trophies have always been decided by a two-legged final tie.
Officially known as the Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho, the 84,738-capacity Maracanã has staged a number of finals and important matches over the years. Just three months ago, it hosted the final of the 2019 Copa América, having also been the venue for the 2014 World Cup and 2013 Confederations Cup showpiece events. Brazilian football's most emblematic arena, it is also home to Rio-based club sides, most notably Flamengo.
Estadio Mario Kempes revamped for 2011 Copa América
Meanwhile, the Estadio Mario Kempes is one of Argentina's most modern stadiums, having been remodelled when the country hosted the Copa América in 2011. Since then, it has been the stage for several Argentinian Cup finals and Super Cups. The Superliga Argentina team Club Atlético Talleres play their home games at the ground, which holds 57,000 spectators.
The 2020 Copa Libertadores final is scheduled for 21 November 2020, while the Copa Sudamericana final is to be held on 7 November 2020.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu