Atlético blow as Simeone confirms Felix injury is serious
Atlético Madrid has confirmed that the Portuguese suffered a “strong twist in the right ankle”, meaning he will likely miss the Champions League tie against Bayer Leverkusen.
Atlético Madrid coach Diego Simeone has confirmed that the injury sustained by talented new signing Joao Felix in the 1-1 draw against Valencia on Saturday looks to be serious.
The 19-year-old striker hobbled off in 78th minute after a clash with Valencia midfielder Daniel Parejo that caused him to twist his ankle.
Having already used their three substitutions, Atlético had to play the final minutes of the game with 10 men, during which time Valencia managed to draw level through a beautifully struck Parejo free kick in the 82nd minute.
Simeone hopes for Felix’s quick return
Asked about Felix’s injury after the game, Simeone said: “I did not talk to him, but I thought it wasn’t anything serious. But the doctor told me that it is serious. We hope he will be back with us again soon.”
The club also confirmed that the Portuguese forward suffered a “strong twist in the right ankle”, meaning he will likely miss the Champions League tie against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.
Having joined Atléti from Benfica for a club record fee of 126 million euros in the summer, Felix has so far started all 11 of the club’s LaLiga and Champions League fixtures, providing three goals and one assist.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"