Stam says Newcastle approached him while Rafa was still in charge
Newcastle United contacted Jaap Stam well before Rafael Benitez's departure, according to the Feyenoord boss.
Jaap Stam has claimed Newcastle United approached him about replacing Rafael Benitez as manager three months before the Spaniard's contract expired.
Benitez officially left Newcastle at the end of June after failing to agree an extension for the new season. Benítez has since said he left because he couldn't trust those in charge at the club.
Steve Bruce stepped into the role the following month but the Magpies were canvassing options for a new boss as early as March, according to former Manchester United defender Stam.
The Dutchman, who managed Reading for close to two seasons, could not enter into talks as he had already committed to Eredivisie side Feyenoord, who announced his appointment on March 6.
"Newcastle United called me a few days after I signed my contract at Feyenoord," Stam told Voetbal International.
"So it wasn't an option straight away. I'm a man of my word.
"It was beautiful and honourable, because people in England apparently know what I stand for as a trainer."
Stam's contract at Feyenoord took effect on June 1.
His team have won three of 10 games in the Eredivisie this term, while Newcastle are 18th in the Premier League after nine matches under Bruce.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match