Liverpool's Sadio Mané gets Didier Drogba's backing for the Ballon d'Or
Sadio Mané has enjoyed an impressive year with Liverpool and Senegal, earning the support of Didier Drogba in the 2019 Ballon d'Or race.
Liverpool and Senegal forward Sadio Mané deserves to win the 2019 Ballon d'Or after a standout 12 months for club and country, according to Didier Drogba.
Mané started all 13 matches in Liverpool's glorious Champions League campaign last season and finished joint-top-scorer in the Premier League as his side missed out on the title by a point. The 27-year-old then helped Senegal to the Africa Cup of Nations final, where they were beaten 1-0 by Algeria.
Sadio Mané in scintillating form
Mané has started 2019-20 in impressive form, too, and was this week included on the 30-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or alongside six Liverpool team-mates. He has Drogba's backing, as the former Chelsea explained to Paris Match.
"For the Cup of Nations, the Champions League and the Premier League [Mane deserves to win]," Drogba said. "What he does in the Premier League, very few players are able to do it."
Africa's football stars and the Ballon d'Or
George Weah is the only previous African player to have won the sport's top individual accolade, doing so in 1995, and Drogba is keen to see a new name in that select group.
"There are many players who have well represented the African continent, like Samuel Eto'o," he said. "What is a pity is that when we talk about African player, we talk about the continent, we do not speak of a country. We will never say Kylian Mbappe represents the European continent. It is a small shift that is present. But to return to the question, it would be really nice if Sadio or even Mohamed Salah continue to raise their level of play to hope to win this trophy."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Has Aaron Rodgers won a Super Bowl?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS Can I qualify for Biden's American Rescue Plan if I have already received the stimulus check?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool vs Man United: How and where to watch - times, tv, online
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...