Messi's favourite goal: his header against Manchester United
Lionel Messi has scored more than 600 goals for Barcelona but picked out a header in 2009 as his favourite of them all.
Lionel Messi picked his header against Manchester United in the 2009 Champions League final as the standout goal among more than 600 he has scored in his Barcelona career.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner described how the looping effort over Edwin van der Saar at Rome's Stadio Olimpico helped the Blaugrana "close the circle" as they clinched a LaLiga, Copa del Rey and Champions League treble for the first time.
Messi on Champions League triumph
Samuel Eto'o's opener put Pep Guardiola's all-conquering side on their way that night, in a match Messi described as "spectacular" in a conversation with TyC Sports.
"My favourite goals are more than just attractive; they are important," said the talismanic 32-year-old.
"It was in the Champions League final and helped us to close the circle with Guardiola and win the triplete, which we had never done.
"That goal rounded up a spectacular game."
Messi struggling so far in 19/20
Calf and hamstring injuries have restricted Messi's appearances in LaLiga this season.
He has started just three of Barcelona's nine league games but has now hit form, scoring in consecutive victories over Sevilla and Eibar.
Messi also found the net in a 2-1 win over Slavia Prague in the Champions League to make it three goals in three games, and he spoke of his knowledge of when to become involved in Barcelona's play.
"It's not that I live in front of goal," said Messi. "I like to come from behind, be in touch with the ball and be creative, but also arrive and score goals.
"I have learned to regulate myself inside the game and find the moment. There are moments when I do not have to enter the game or do not have to participate and I wait for the arrival moment where I think it is more suitable.
"I have grown and I learned to read the games better, knowing what time and where to be effective and decisive, and little by little I gained that over time."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest