De la Fuente on Ramos at the Olympics: "I would never say no"
The Spain under-21 manager says it should be a source of pride that Ramos amongst others are willing to make an exceptional effort to play at the Olympics.
Luis de la Fuente, the manager of Spain's under-21 team and the man who will coach the Spain team at the Olympics Games in Tokyo 2020, has had his say on the possibility of Sergio Ramos joining the squad this summer in Japan.
"It's a source of pride that he, along with other players who have enormous international and footballing experience are available to come with us," he said. "To have the chance to select him. He is one of the best in the world and I would never say no."
"It is difficult to put yourself forward like he has done," said de la Fuente. "It's something to be proud of, there are players available to make a massive effort to play in a competition as important as the Olympics."
The news that Ramos was keen to win an Olympic gold broke a couple of months ago and since then, the central defender has done nothing to stop the speculation. He recently broke Iker Casillas' record as Spain's record appearance-maker. His brother and agent said recently: "If everything goes well during the year, with the ambition he has....who wouldn't want to play at the Olympic Games?"
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?