De la Fuente on Ramos at the Olympics: "I would never say no"
The Spain under-21 manager says it should be a source of pride that Ramos amongst others are willing to make an exceptional effort to play at the Olympics.
Luis de la Fuente, the manager of Spain's under-21 team and the man who will coach the Spain team at the Olympics Games in Tokyo 2020, has had his say on the possibility of Sergio Ramos joining the squad this summer in Japan.
"It's a source of pride that he, along with other players who have enormous international and footballing experience are available to come with us," he said. "To have the chance to select him. He is one of the best in the world and I would never say no."
"It is difficult to put yourself forward like he has done," said de la Fuente. "It's something to be proud of, there are players available to make a massive effort to play in a competition as important as the Olympics."
The news that Ramos was keen to win an Olympic gold broke a couple of months ago and since then, the central defender has done nothing to stop the speculation. He recently broke Iker Casillas' record as Spain's record appearance-maker. His brother and agent said recently: "If everything goes well during the year, with the ambition he has....who wouldn't want to play at the Olympic Games?"
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid Carvajal hands Zidane a fresh problem for Atletico derby
- MARADONA 1960-2020 Maradona dead: updates, latest news and reactions, today
- AS / WFS Player of the Year Lewandowski: “It’s an honour to be the first winner of the AS / WFS Player of the Year”
- MARADONA 1960-2020 When Maradona met Gazza
- WFS LIVE "It's great that we can young girl's icons instead of Messi & Ronaldo"
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: could it arrive before 2021?