De la Fuente on Ramos at the Olympics: "I would never say no"
The Spain under-21 manager says it should be a source of pride that Ramos amongst others are willing to make an exceptional effort to play at the Olympics.
Luis de la Fuente, the manager of Spain's under-21 team and the man who will coach the Spain team at the Olympics Games in Tokyo 2020, has had his say on the possibility of Sergio Ramos joining the squad this summer in Japan.
"It's a source of pride that he, along with other players who have enormous international and footballing experience are available to come with us," he said. "To have the chance to select him. He is one of the best in the world and I would never say no."
"It is difficult to put yourself forward like he has done," said de la Fuente. "It's something to be proud of, there are players available to make a massive effort to play in a competition as important as the Olympics."
The news that Ramos was keen to win an Olympic gold broke a couple of months ago and since then, the central defender has done nothing to stop the speculation. He recently broke Iker Casillas' record as Spain's record appearance-maker. His brother and agent said recently: "If everything goes well during the year, with the ambition he has....who wouldn't want to play at the Olympic Games?"
Te recomendamos en English
- VALENCIA 2-0 BARCELONA Setién: "It's possible the players are not grasping certain things"
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Vinicius and Brahim omitted from Madrid squad for Valladolid
- INTER MILAN Emergency at Inter! But Conte says media make it look like club buying up Real Madrid stars
- Football Barça prospect Marques to Juve, Pereira goes other way
- LaLiga Al Shabab sign Sevilla's Argentine playmaker Banega
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Sergio Ramos set to reappear against Valladolid