Serie A is not a two-horse race between Juventus and Inter Milan, says Sarri
Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri pointed out: "There's still 81 points to win. Tomorrow's standings could already give you a very different idea".
Juventus head coach Maurizio Sarri said it is "premature" to describe the Serie A title race as a two-horse race between the defending champions and Inter Milan. Saturday's 1-0 Derby della Mole win away to Torino saw Sarri's Juve return to the top of the table ahead of rivals Inter.
Matthijs de Ligt's second-half goal ensured Juve stayed a point clear of Inter following 11 games, after the latter edged Bologna 2-1. However, Sarri dismissed suggestions the Scudetto battle is now a fight between Juve and Inter, with Atalanta able to close within four points of the lead by beating Cagliari on Sunday.
Still a lot to play for in Serie A, warns Sarri
"There's still 81 points to play for. Tomorrow's standings could already give you a very different idea," Sarri told reporters. "Because the table as it looks tonight does not include the results of the games left to play. Perhaps tomorrow [Sunday] Atalanta will be closer. I think now it's too early to talk about it. I understand that for a journalist it's more interesting to create media interest on the head-to-head between two teams, but frankly it's premature to think that all the other teams are out of the running".
Sarri happy with Juve response against Torino
On the match itself, Sarri added: "I am happy with the performance of my team because we've found ourselves involved in a very tough derby, with high levels of intensity and aggression. A game that maybe wasn't good for us considering our characteristics, but we played it well and we sorted it out. And when a coach sees a solid performance in terms of character by his team is always happy."
Te recomendamos en English
- European championship Zlatan Ibrahimovic back in Sweden team for World Cup qualifiers
- NBA Jazz stars Mitchell and Gobert fined by NBA after outbursts
- REAL MADRID | BENZEMA Benzema: "My life has changed..."
- NFL Eagles' Jason Kelce holds off retirement to return for 2021 season
- NBA All-Star Game Jazz's Conley earns NBA All-Star selection to replace Booker
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, Senate votation, status and IRS tax