Racist abuse forces Mario Balotelli walk off threat
The Brescia striker was subject to racist abuse from a sector of the Hellas Verona supporters during the Serie A contest at the Bentegodi stadium.
The Stadio Marcantonio Bentegodi in Verona was the setting for the latest depressing chapter of racist abuse currently blighting European football with the problem particularly prevalent in the Italian top flight.
A high profile incident last season saw Calgiari fans racially taunting Moise Keane then of Juventus after scoring for the visitors. It was the same supporter base this season who racially abused Inter Milan Belgian striker Romalu Lukaku as he was poised to strike a penalty kick for the 'nerazurri'. Lazio too have seen how racist action of a section of their supporters in the Europa League tie against Rennes has seen a section of the Curva closed for the forthcoming tie against Glasgow Celtic.
Mario Balotelli is taking a stand. pic.twitter.com/qqK2J65i3Q— B/R Football (@brfootball) November 3, 2019
Today, the latest player to be on the receiving end of racial taunts and monkey chants was Brescia striker Mario Balotelli. The former Manchester City and AC Milan player grabbed the match ball in anger during the second half and furiously kicked the ball in the direction of the notorious Verona ultras. The forward threatened to leave the field of play as the stadium PA system issued a series of warnings for the chants to desist as the match was temporarily halted. The player was incensed and only agreed to continue the game after the insistence of his Brescia team-mates.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Lautaro Martínez: Barcelona told he won't leave Inter if release clause not met
- laliga LaLiga would have ended if Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check US: why California has received the most payments
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus live updates: deaths and cases - UK, Australia, Canada, Spain... news today