Lewandowski tops Messi as race on for 2019 top scorer
With 38 goals in 38 matches since the turn of the year, the Bayern striker has two more than Barça's talisman and six more than PSG's Mbappé.
Lionel Messi may be in fine scoring form but he has a tough fight on his hands to end the calendar year as the leading scorer in Europe's top leagues. And old warhorse Robert Lewandowski has upped his game, leading the list with 38 goals scored in as many games, across league, cup and European fixtures.
Lewandowski firing on top
The Bayern striker scored at the weekend, the only bright point of a humiliating 5-1 defeat to Frankfurt that was to be the final game in charge for Kovac. Two goals behind the Pole, with 36 in 39 games, lies Messi. His Barcelona side also suffered away from home in the league, losing 3-1 against Levante. Like his scoring rival, though, the Argentine made his mark.
Lewandowski's explosive start to this season has seen him score in all his Bundesliga and Champions League matches, only failing to maintain that record in the German cup. If he is able to continue this form then the Golden Shoe is definitely within his grasp, and some people believe he could maybe even be a dark horse for the end of year Ballon d'Or award, although he is a rather less fashionable vote winner for many who take part.
Behind Lewandowski and Messi, PSG's Kylian Mbappé is third, with the 31 goals scored across 32 since January. Still only 20, the Frenchman doesn't look to be letting up as he strives to be regarded as the best.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- Interview | Andrés Iniesta Iniesta: "I wanted the ball, I wanted to be decisive"
- Football Jack Charlton: tributes for 1966 World Cup winner
- ALFREDO RELAÑO More fuel on the fire, and one step closer to the title