Ederson injured, Bravo sent off as Man City struggle at Atalanta
Pep Guardiola's side were leading in their Champions League group game in Bergamo, but things turned sour, as thoughts turned to Liverpool.
Sitting top of Champions League Group C going into this game against Atalanta, Pep Guardiola must have had one eye on Sunday's Premier League clash with title rivals Liverpool. And with that in mind, the Manchester City boss would have wanted to escape Bergamo with a good result and no injuries. Things didn't go to plan.
Ederson doubt for Liverpool
A goal to the good, thanks to an early finish from Raheem Sterling, things were looking positive for the Premier League champions as they went in at the break in front. But as the team emerged for the second half, an important substitution had been made. Claudio Bravo was on in place of first-choice goalkeeper Ederson, a decision that was confirmed by the club to be due to injury.
No sooner had the Chilean stepped into the void than he was picking out the equaliser from the back of the net, Mario Pasalic heading home in the 48th minute. And worse was to come for the stopper.
As the game entered the final ten minutes, Josip Ilicic was brought down by Bravo, who was shown a straight red card. Kyle Walker went in goals and managed not to be beaten as time ticked away.
A single point for the visitors is not a huge disaster as they remain at the top of the qualification group with two games to play. But all eyes will be on the injury update of their number one goalkeeper as attention now switches to the battle of the top two at Anfield.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Bundesliga Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Preview
- Coronavirus: football Lyon president pleads for Ligue 1 2019/2020 season to resume
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: what's the latest news on the HEROES payment?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: is White House moving for it to arrive soon?