Liverpool's Van Dijk and Henderson declared fit for Manchester City showdown
Virgil van Dijk missed training on Thursday and Jordan Henderson has struggled with illness but both are available to face Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday.
Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has declared Virgil van Dijk and Jordan Henderson fit for Sunday's crunch Premier League clash with Manchester City. Reds skipper Henderson missed Tuesday's 2-1 Champions League win over Genk through illness, while Van Dijk was absent from training on Thursday.
"We have to play our best game, everybody in the stadium has to be in an absolutely top shape." 👊🔴— Liverpool FC (@LFC) November 8, 2019
Royal recognition for Van Dijk
However, it later transpired Van Dijk was granted permission to return to his native Netherlands as a guest of Dutch monarchs King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague of to receive royal recognition for his outstanding achievements this year. Klopp confirmed at Friday's pre-match news conference that the centre-back, along with captain Henderson, will be available for selection at Anfield on Sunday.
"Virgil was for other reasons not here on Thursday but he is completely fine. Jordan is completely fine," he said.
Liverpool trio still sidelined
Liverpool remain without Joel Matip, Xherdan Shaqiri and Nathaniel Clyne - the only three players in the club's sickbay. Sunday's visitors City trail the league leaders by six points ahead of the match.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL FIFA announce appointment of Wenger in new role
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Saúl: "I always speak to Bale in Spanish, he's a really nice guy"
- BUNDESLIGA Bundesliga leaders Borussia Mönchengladbach sign NYCFC teenager Joe Scally
- MLS David Beckham's Inter Miami to play LA Galaxy in MLS home opener
- Euro 2020 Portugal boss Santos fumes at repeated Cristiano questions
- BELGIUM Courtois: "I'm criticised because I'm one of the best in the world"