Zidane: "Karim Benzema should be in France squad"
Over four years on from his last international cap, Zinedine Zidane believes Karim Benzema deserves to be recalled by France.
Zinedine Zidane raised the issue of Karim Benzema's continued absence from the France team again on Friday ahead of Real Madrid's trip to Eibar.
Benzema has been one of Europe's outstanding strikers during a 10-year Madrid career, yet he has not represented his country since 2015.
Zidane claims Benzema still wants to represent France, though, and believes his player to be "the best" and worthy of a call-up.
"He's always wanted to play for the French side," Zidane told a news conference. "To be honest, I don't know exactly what's going on.
150 - Karim Benzema is the first Frenchman to reach 150+ goals in LaLiga history and the seventh player to achieve this milestone for Real Madrid in the competition. Delicatessen. pic.twitter.com/6RjYYuNCGg— OptaJose (@OptaJose) August 24, 2019
"But from a football point of view, he's the best. I think he should definitely have a place in the French national team. It's beyond my role here, but he should definitely be called up."
Benzema scored his 50th Champions League goal for Madrid in midweek, surpassing the legendary Alfredo Di Stefano on the club's all-time list in the process.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?