Barcelona: Gallardo plays down links with Camp Nou job
Marcelo Gallardo has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Ernesto Valverde at Barcelona, but he says he is focused on his job at River Plate.
Marcelo Gallardo played down rumours he could take over as Barcelona coach, saying his focus was on River Plate.
Gallardo has been linked with a move to Camp Nou amid reports Ernesto Valverde will leave no later than the end of the season.
However, the River coach discussed the rumours ahead of a big finish to the year, including a Copa Libertadores final clash against Flamengo on November 23.
Gallardo: "Now is not the time"
"No party came forward to start a conversation, especially knowing that we are in a very important phase for our club, playing decisive matches," Gallardo told a news conference on Friday, via Globo Esporte.
"Of course there is nothing that takes my focus off the goals ahead."
"I can't echo the rumours," he added. "No one came to suggest a meeting or analysis of what to do in the future. This is not the time for that."
Gallardo has been in charge of River since 2014, winning two Copa Libertadores titles.
River are third in the Argentinian Primera División, a point adrift of Argentinos Juniors and Lanus through 12 games.
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Man City chief says alleged FFP breaches are "simply not true"
- Qatar 2022 Eto'o: The 2022 World Cup will be an exceptional experience for fans
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG Haaland: Dortmund star touches world 60m record against PSG
- ATLÉTICO MADRID "Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
- Champions League Mourinho looking to end six-year Champions League drought
- Transfer market Messi: LA Galaxy offer Barça star escape route amid crisis