Barcelona: Gallardo plays down links with Camp Nou job
Marcelo Gallardo has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Ernesto Valverde at Barcelona, but he says he is focused on his job at River Plate.
Marcelo Gallardo played down rumours he could take over as Barcelona coach, saying his focus was on River Plate.
Gallardo has been linked with a move to Camp Nou amid reports Ernesto Valverde will leave no later than the end of the season.
However, the River coach discussed the rumours ahead of a big finish to the year, including a Copa Libertadores final clash against Flamengo on November 23.
Gallardo: "Now is not the time"
"No party came forward to start a conversation, especially knowing that we are in a very important phase for our club, playing decisive matches," Gallardo told a news conference on Friday, via Globo Esporte.
"Of course there is nothing that takes my focus off the goals ahead."
"I can't echo the rumours," he added. "No one came to suggest a meeting or analysis of what to do in the future. This is not the time for that."
Gallardo has been in charge of River since 2014, winning two Copa Libertadores titles.
River are third in the Argentinian Primera División, a point adrift of Argentinos Juniors and Lanus through 12 games.
Te recomendamos en English
- INTERNATIONAL Bale starts for Wales 34 days after last game
- REAL MADRID Karim Benzema vs. French FA wrangle intensifies
- SERIE A Lukaku contradicts Solskjaer: "He wanted me to stay"
- Alonso: I left Real Madrid because of Guardiola
- 'They make everything easy' - Liverpool star Mane hails Salah and Firmino
- BARCELONA Griezmann's former agent weighs in on Barcelona struggles