Benzema overtakes Puskas in LaLiga all-time scorer list
Real Madrid's French striker scored the first and third goal at Ipurua, taking him to a total of 157 and pushing him up to 18th in LaLiga all-time scorers.
In just a few days, two legendary Real Madrid goalscorers have been usurped by the club's current number nine, Karim Benzema. Records of both Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskás have fallen to the Frenchman.
Benzema climbing the scoring charts
Di Stefano and Puskas may have been part of Los Blancos as they dominated the continent with five consecutive European Cup titles between 1956 and 1960. On Wednesday, Benzema's brace against Galatasaray in the Champions League took him above La Saeta Rubia in the club's European scorers, reaching the total of 50.
He followed that up in Ipurua with another two goals, the first and third in Madrid's 0-4 victory over Eibar, and that put him ahead of the Hungarian in the list of LaLiga scorers. His 156th and 157th in the domestic competition put him in sixth place for the capital club players and 18th overall. It also meant he added to the goals that have him in third place of those still active in LaLiga this season, with Lionel Messi and Aritz Aduriz the only players ahead of him.
157 - After scoring a brace today, Karim Benzema is already the 6th top-scorer in LaLiga for Real Madrid surpassing Puskas. Milestone. pic.twitter.com/RQycaspwue— OptaJose (@OptaJose) November 9, 2019
If the Frenchman is to climb further up the league's ranking, he will be looking towards Hugo Sánchez to move into fifth for Los Blancos. For that he'll need another eight goals to surpass the 164 of the Mexican in a white shirt. Benzema now has 11 goals to his name this season, nine of which have been in LaLiga.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?