Hoeness: Some Bayern Munich players wanted Kovac out
Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has claimed that ex-coach Niko Kovac did not enjoy the full support of all of the players in the dressing room.
Bayern Munich parted company with Niko Kovac after members of the squad turned against him, club president Uli Hoeness has revealed. The Bundesliga champions reached a seemingly amicable split with head coach Kovac last weekend following an embarrassing 5-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt.
Captain Manuel Neuer claimed each first-team player could comfortably sit down with the former Croatia boss and his brother Robert, who served as an assistant coach, and "look them in the eyes". Yet it appears some unnamed individuals had grown tired of the regime. "There have certainly been currents within the team that wanted Kovac gone," Hoeness told ZDF Sport Studio. "That's why the leadership reacted accordingly."
Bayern players wielding too much power
Hoeness would not be drawn on whether Bayern players are afforded too much power as he shifted the focus to Saturday's impressive 4-0 win over Klassiker rivals Borussia Dortmund. That result followed a 2-0 Champions League victory over Olympiacos and could safeguard interim coach Hansi Flick's position.
Bayern are reportedly willing to delay their decision on a full-time appointment until the end of the season, when it will likely become easier to lure either Thomas Tuchel or Erik ten Hag to Allianz Arena.
"During the talks, which are due in the next few weeks, we will certainly talk first about Hansi Flick," Hoeness said. "One thing is clear: after such an outstanding week, with two convincing wins, you cannot say that we're going to send Hansi Flick away and get someone who might only be able to work for a few months."
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo discusses future ahead of Portugal-Hungary clash
- Cristiano Ronaldo having no 'sleepless nights' over Juventus future
- EURO 2020 Mbappé needed to speak up but Giroud tussle is behind us, says France captain Lloris
- REAL MADRID Ramos: Kroos, Casillas back Real Madrid captain amid contract impasse
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?