KSI loss not real for Logan Paul as YouTubers fight in the ring
KSI beat his fellow YouTube star Logan Paul on a split decision in Los Angeles, but the American insisted it did not feel like a defeat.
Logan Paul does not feel like he lost his hotly anticipated rematch with fellow YouTuber KSI, despite going down on a split decision.
KSI takes split decision over Logan Paul
The two social media personalities took to the ring in front of a star-studded crowd at Los Angeles' Staples Centre on Saturday.
KSI prevailed, with two judges scoring the bout 57-54 and 56-55 in his favour and the other giving Paul a 56-55 victory.
In a frantic six-round fight lacking in quality, KSI was sent to the canvas in the fourth, only for Paul to be deducted two points for punching the Brit – real name Olajide Olatunji – while he was on the ground.
Paul, who revealed he had been feeling ill all day prior to the fight, confirmed he would contest the decision, stating he did not feel as if he had been beaten.
"For some reason, it doesn't feel like I lost. It just doesn't feel like that. Maybe it hasn't registered yet. I've taken true Ls [losses] before and this doesn't feel like that," the 24-year-old told BBC Sport.
"We're going to contest it [the points deduction], I don't know how likely it is that the commission reverts on a decision that one of their refs made.
"My gut tells me [they won't] but if I'm going to go down then I'm going to go down f****** fighting, with a submission form which says you shouldn't have deducted two points.
"My gameplan went out of the window, that was the worst I've performed compared to any sparring session.
"I woke up sick, I've been feeling sick all day. I tried to ignore that but it took probably 30 to 50 per cent out of me. I don't know if I was trying to conserve energy."
When it was put to the American that the extensive media duties in the build-up to the fight did not help his cause, Paul replied: "That's the trade-off, we're media guys, so we'll do more media, draw more eyeballs and the fight will be f****** sloppy and apparently dirty."
Paul does not believe KSI will be willing to have a second rematch – with the duo having drawn their initial bout in Manchester in 2018.
"I don't think he's going to give me a third fight. If I were him, he came out on top, unless there's a huge bag [of money] I don't think he's going to do that," Paul added.
"I think it's dangerous for him, he knows what happened tonight and I don't think he wants more.
"I will beat KSI nine out of 10 times. He snagged a win tonight, I don't know what it's going to mean for me boxing-wise, but I can tell you what it means YouTube-wise – nothing."
Te recomendamos en English
- Ligue 1 Mbappé and Neymar on target to secure PSG win
- Ballon d'Or Mane snubbed for being African, claims Kouyate
- REAL MADRID Sancho, Vinicius, Joao Felix: in that order for Zidane
- BARCELONA Barça renew Ansu Fati and increase release clause to €170M
- Rapinoe asks Ronaldo and Messi to 'help' in fight against racism, sexism
- REAL MADRID “Florentino's arrival at Madrid was a turning point for the club" - Butragueño