Tonali gets Italy nod as Verratti, Berardi, Spinazzola withdraw
Roberto Mancini has had three players drop out of his Italy squad for their final Euro 2020 qualifiers, handing the Brescia midfielder a recall.
Italy confirmed Marco Verratti, Domenico Berardi and Leonardo Spinazzola have withdrawn from the squad for upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Armenia, but Sandro Tonali has been added to the roster.
Paris Saint-Germain star Verratti played 80 minutes of their 2-1 win at Brest on Saturday but was withdrawn – according to reports in Italy – due to a calf strain.
Similarly, Italy have not confirmed the issue in-form Sassuolo attacker Berardi has sustained, though it is claimed he injured his thigh during the 3-1 defeat of Bologna.
Spinazzola is reported to have suffered a muscular problem in action for Roma on Sunday.
Verratti is the only player to have been replaced, with highly rated 19-year-old Tonali, who has impressed in his debut Serie A season with Brescia, in line to earn his second cap.
Italy have already qualified for Euro 2020. Their two remaining qualifiers see them face Bosnia away on Friday, before hosting Armenia three days later.
#EuropeanQualifiers— Italy (@azzurri) November 11, 2019
The #Azzurri begin their preparations at Coverciano ahead of the games against Bosnia and Armenia
The article https://t.co/zjbOS10wbS#Verratti, #Berardi and #Spinazzola all withdraw from the squad#VivoAzzurro pic.twitter.com/xwhAtjWX6R
Te recomendamos en English
- MANCHESTER UNITED Pogba nowhere near ready for Man Utd return, says Solskjaer
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Marcelo has become a liability
- MANCHESTER CITY Guardiola "100 percent" behind City after Champions League ban
- BARCELONA Messi on Barcelona social media scandal: "It's a strange subject"
- VAR Wenger VAR offside proposal ruled out by IFAB for now
- MANCHESTER UNITED Van Persie: Man Utd can't keep changing coaches, give Solskjaer time