Gaza violence puts Argentina-Uruguay friendly under threat
Despite a cease-fire being declared between Israel and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, rockets are still being launched from Gaza with safety issues surrounding Monday's game.
Air-raid sirens sounded this morning in Jerusalem despite a cease fire declared between both sides with a communique from Israeli defence force stating that "five rockets were launched this morning (Thursday) from Gaza but intercepted by security forces".
Despite Tel Aviv being out of range for the Gaza launched projectiles, worry is growing in Argentina about security for the "Albiceleste" squad following one of the more serious escalations of the violence in the nation over the last few years in the region.
Other high profile sporting events have already been called off in Israel with the domestic basketball game between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Beer Sheva called off due on security grounds.
The company organising the game claim that there is no danger for players of either side and point to UEFA decision's to not to move Saturday's Israel vs Poland Euro 2020 qualifying game which is staged to go ahead at Jerusalem's Teddy Stadium.
Argentina are scheduled to play Uruguay in Tel Aviv on November 18th.
Te recomendamos en English
- MARADONA 1960-2020 Maradona dead: updates, latest news and reactions
- DIEGO MARADONA 1960-2020 Maradona dies at 60: football world pays tribute to Argentina great
- MARADONA Argentina declares three days of mourning for the death of Diego Maradona
- DIEGO MARADONA 1960-2020 Diego Maradona: a legendary career in pictures
- INTER VS REAL MADRID Inter vs Real Madrid live online: Champions League 2020/21
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?