Messi: "It's always good to beat Brazil"
After Argentina edged Brazil in Friday's friendly at the King Saud University Stadium, in Saudi Arabia, the Argentine talked up the rivalry between the two nations.
Lionel Messi was delighted with Argentina's win over Brazil, saying the rivalry between the South American nations was stronger than ever.
Messi's goal the difference
On his international return, Messi scored the only goal of the game in Riyadh as Argentina recorded a 1-0 friendly win.
The star tapped in a rebound after his penalty was saved by Alisson, while Gabriel Jesus earlier put a spot-kick wide for Brazil.
The win over Brazil was Argentina's first against their rivals since 2017 and Messi talked up the significance.
The Brazil-Argentina rivalry
"The rivalry is there more than ever and it is always good to beat Brazil," he said, via Ole.
"When you win, you work better. The ideas of the coach are carried out on the pitch in another way and it is positive for what is coming."
Argentina face Uruguay in another friendly on Monday as they continue preparations for the start of the gruelling CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying beginning in March next year.
Messi praised the defensive efforts of Lionel Scaloni's side, who stretched their unbeaten run to six games.
"There is little left for the qualifiers. There is a good team feeling," the Barcelona star said.
"On a defensive level we worked hard."
Te recomendamos en English
- LaLiga Barcelona vs Granada: LaLiga Santander: how and where to watch, times, TV, online
- REAL MADRID 2 -1 SEVILLA Lopetegui to Monchi: "This is a disgrace man, always the same"
- REAL MADRID 2-1 SEVILLA Monchi: "If the second goal had been disallowed, I'd have taken the team off"
- Barcelona Setien surprised by Barcelona players' attitude
- PSG Neymar has become the leader PSG hoped for - says Tuchel
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool vs Manchester United: Premier League: How and where to watch