Joe Gomez, Jordan Henderson withdraw from England squad
Liverpool have been given a scare after Joe Gomez suffered a knee problem, while Jordan Henderson is battling a viral infection.
Liverpool pair Joe Gomez and Jordan Henderson have been ruled out of England's final Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo on Sunday.
Gomez injury comes on back of Sterling bust-up
Gomez, 22, sustained a knock to the knee in training on Friday and will not travel with the rest of Gareth Southgate's squad, an England statement confirmed.
The injury caps a tumultuous few days for the defender, who was involved in a bust-up with Raheem Sterling earlier in the week.
Some fans booed Gomez when he was introduced as a second-half substitute during England's clinical 7-0 win over Montenegro at Wembley.
Recovering right to make sure we're ready for the next challenge pic.twitter.com/fnjBbK8erW— England (@England) November 15, 2019
Southgate and Sterling expressed bewilderment over the treatment of the young centre-back and England will now be without him as the Three Lions wrap up their Group A campaign, having already sealed qualification.
Viral infection sees Henderson leave England squad
Henderson was not involved against Montenegro after arriving in camp with a viral infection, which has not fully cleared.
"The pair have returned to their club meaning the Three Lions will head to Pristina on Saturday with a 23-man squad," the statement concluded.
Premier League leaders Liverpool will hope to have both players available when their title tilt resumes away to Crystal Palace on 23 November.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid Carvajal hands Zidane a fresh problem for Atletico derby
- MARADONA 1960-2020 Maradona dead: updates, latest news and reactions, today
- AS / WFS Player of the Year Lewandowski: “It’s an honour to be the first winner of the AS / WFS Player of the Year”
- MARADONA 1960-2020 When Maradona met Gazza
- WFS LIVE "It's great that we can young girl's icons instead of Messi & Ronaldo"
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: could it arrive before 2021?