"A broken leg stops Sterling but that's not our style"
Raheem Sterling should not fear rough tactics against Kosovo, although coach Bernard Challandes acknowledges it would be effective.
Kosovo coach Bernard Challandes believes Raheem Sterling is so good a broken leg is one of the only ways to stop the England star, but added his team are "too nice" for that.
Sterling will return to the England team for their final Euro 2020 qualifier at Kosovo on Sunday, having sat out the midweek win over Montenegro following a confrontation with team-mate Joe Gomez.
The Manchester City winger scored one and created three more as Kosovo were beaten 5-3 at St Mary's Stadium earlier in the campaign.
Challandes is not enthused by the prospect of Sterling returning with a point to prove this weekend, yet he insists his side will not resort to rough tactics.
"The bad news for us is that Sterling will play," Challandes told a pre-match news conference. "He is one of the best in the world in his position.
"But [Marcus] Rashford is great, [Harry] Kane, [Tammy] Abraham - England have a lot of great players. Whether we play against Sterling or not, we have to play a superb match.
"We are not dealing with individuals but with the team as a whole, so we will be preparing for England.
"How to stop Sterling? Maybe we break his leg, but it's not our style. We are too nice. But we have a good team, as we have shown in this qualification campaign."
The 7-0 win over Montenegro that booked England's place at Euro 2020 meant Gareth Southgate's men were top of the scoring charts in qualification prior to Saturday's games.
The Three Lions' goal-hungry attack concerns Challandes, who added: "England have tremendous offensive potential, scoring many goals and winning 7-0, 6-0 and 5-0.
"For us, it is a challenge, an incredible challenge. As a coach, I can enjoy this game but, of course, I am a little bit scared. This is the 1001st match for England, and it is the 29th for us. They have a little bit more experience than we do."
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu