Abidal: "Neymar will always be an option; he has the Barça philosophy"
Barcelona's technical secretary, Éric Abidal, spoke to Mundo Deportivo and Sport, disussing Neymar as a Barcelona player and Messi's contract negotiations.
Barcelona's technical secretary, Eric Abidal, discussed a number of issues at Barcelona in interviews with Catalan sports papers Mundo Deportivo and Sport on Sunday.
Neymar's Barcelona philosophy
Abidal talked about former Barcelona player Neymar, who has been heavily linked with a return to the club since leaving in 2017. "He is a top player with the Barcelona philosophy and is playing at a very high level. Neymar will always be an option," he told Mundo Deportivo. "After that, on a sporting level, we will make desicions and because of the financial issues some things are possible and others aren't. If he continues playing at the same level, because it's a long season, then I'm not going to say he'll be the number-one target but he'll be a definite option," he added.
Messi's contract negotiations
Abidal also told Sport that negotiations were under way to extend Messi's contract: "He's a key player for us. He has an opt-out clause in his contract, but I know the club's president is speaking to his representatives to close the matter once and for all. I hope he stays for many years; I think he will. It will be Leo's decision," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barça president agrees "3 years could be enough for Valverde"
- PRMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us
- Premier League Arsenal ready to pull the plug on Ljungberg after two games
- Villarreal 0-0 Atlético Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
- BARCELONA-ESPANYOL The Japanese pearl of the Masia, Kubo returns to Barcelona