Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk captained Netherlands to a place at Euro 2020 but a personal matter has ruled him out of facing Estonia.
Virgil van Dijk has been released from the Netherlands squad to face Estonia for personal reasons.
The Liverpool centre-back completed 90 minutes on Saturday as Ronald Koeman's side battled to a 0-0 draw in Northern Ireland, securing their place at Euro 2020 with a game to spare in qualification.
Top spot in Group C is still up for grabs heading into Tuesday's game versus Estonia at the Johan Cruijff ArenA, with Germany two points ahead going into their own match against Northern Ireland, although captain Van Dijk will not take part.
"National team coach Ronald Koeman cannot rely on VirgiI van Dijk on Tuesday against Estonia," read a short statement from the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB).
"The captain of the Dutch national team has to [miss] the game due to personal circumstances and has since left the Oranje training camp."
Van Dijk's next engagement with Premier League leaders Liverpool is a trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Catalan sports press elated at Madrid UCL defeat to Man City
- MLS Roger Martinez looking to pocket more than Carlos Vela
- Real Madrid Vinicius: "Referees are out to get us when they come here"
- MLS Five facts about Inter Miami ahead of their debut in MLS
- MLS Beckham wants Inter Miami to have the same success as LAFC and Atlanta United
- MLS David Beckham is not worried about Inter Miami missing a DP