Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"
The Juventus striker spoke to the media after a 0-2 win in Luxembourg secured a place at Euro 2020 for the Portugal national side.
Two goals against Luxembourg was enough for Portugal to secure their place in next summer's Euro 2020 competition with Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo on target for the Iberian side.
Post game, the Juventus striker was anxious to dispel the rumours that he has an ongoing issue with Juve boss Maurizio Sarri after being subbed in the recent Juventus-Milán Serie A clash. The Madeira born forward stated: "In the past three weeks, I've played less but there has been no problem with you (media) inventing everything. I always try and help Juventus: no player likes to be substituted but I understand this as I was not playing so sharp".
The former Real Madrid player did acknowledged that despite playing in the past two Euro 2020 qualifiers that he is still not at 100% fitness: "I sacrificed myself for the side as we faced the possibility of not securing a place at Euro 2020. Thank heavens I've been relatively injury free during my career and anything could have happened despite my efforts to help the team whilst not being totally fit".
The striker also commented on reaching 99 goals in the Portugal shirt and stated that : "the 100th goal will come in time. My records are there to be broken and I certainly plan to break them".
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu