Spain: Luis Enrique reappointed as La Roja head coach
Luis Enrique has returned as head coach of the Spanish national team five months after stepping down, RFEF chief Luis Rubiales has confirmed.
Luis Enrique has returned as Spain head coach five months after stepping down, Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales has confirmed.
The ex-Barcelona boss replaces his former Spain assistant coach, Robert Moreno, who was appointed as his successor following his resignation in June.
Originally appointed in July 2018, Luis Enrique left the Spain role after his daughter, who died in August, was diagnosed with a serious illness.
Moreno departs after topping Euro 2020 qualifying group
Having initially taken over in a caretaker capacity, Moreno had been in full-time charge of La Roja for their past six games.
Under Moreno, Spain reached Euro 2020 as winners of Group F, beating Romania 5-0 in their final qualifying match on Monday night.
"Luis Enrique is the leader of this project"
"Luis Enrique had to leave the position because of a situation that no parent wants to experience," Rubiales told a press conference in Madrid on Tuesday.
"He is the leader of this project, which will continue until the World Cup in Qatar. We had promised him that the doors would always be open for him [to return]."
Rubiales defends treatment of Moreno
Despite Moreno being said to feel "used and betrayed" over his departure as Spain boss, Rubiales insisted: "It had been made clear to him that if Luis Enrique wanted to return, he'd have to step down as head coach."
The RFEF chief went on: "On Monday, Robert himself told us that he wanted to agree his departure, and didn't want to stand in Luis Enrique's way.
"On the day of the [Romania] game, he told us that he wanted to leave."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is a payment coming? IRS tax return deadline, Child Tax Credit
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: CDC says fully vaccinated no mask, guidelines, Ohio lottery...
- Serie A Ronaldo will lead Juve exodus without Champions League - Vieri
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid boss Zidane: Sometimes a change is best for everyone
- BOXING Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul: PPV cost and how to buy
- NBA Doc Rivers: top seed part of journey to ultimate goal for 76ers