Real Madrid's Karim Benzema defended by Marvin Martin
The Chambly midfielder has admitted that he cannot understand why Los Blancos' number nine has not returned to the French national team.
Marvin Martin may not have reached the heights of the expectations made about him over the years but he is still plying his trade in French football. And the Chambly FC player has responded to questions around the Karim Benzema situation.
Benzema's French return defended
When playing for Sochaux Martin was compared to ZInedine ZIdane and great things were expected from the midfielder. But a bout of injuries over the years put paid to those lofty ambitions and in the summer of 2019 he made a switch to the Ligue 2 side.
Speaking with RMC Sport, he was asked about his compatriot, Karim Benzema, who is now under the orders of ZIdane at Real Madrid. The ongoing debate about the striker's place in the French national team is a topic that everyone is piling into.
"He is someone who works all the time," began Martin, who shared a dressing room with Benzema for Les Bleus in 2012. "He's had an awesome career."
"It's a real shame that he is being undervalued, especially as he is a French player.
"For 10 years he has been doing extraordinary things for Real Madrid and, of course, he deserves to be with the French national team."
'France still need Benzema'
The former Sochaux star also admitted to not understanding the criticism directed towards Benzema.
"Contrary to what people say, he is totally with the national team. He would have loved to have been World Champion [with them].
"The team could still do with him, and I believe that most of the players would want him playing alongside them."
With suggestions that Benzema may never pull on a French shirt again, some have been calling for him to look at opportunities to feature elsewhere.
Te recomendamos en English
- GEORGE FLOYS PROTESTS George Floyd death in Minneapolis, live updates: police, riots and protests across US
- GEORGE FLOYD DEATH George Floyd autopsy: no sign of traumatic asphyxia or strangling
- BUNDESLIGA Havertz’s goal-scoring form puts him in Bundesliga record books
- LALIGA La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kompany turns down offer to be Guardiola's assistant at Manchester City
- CORONAVIRUS New York state reopening: which shops, business and offices can open in phase 2?