Diego Maradona no longer manager at Gimnasia LP
The news was confirmed after president Gabriel Pellegrino had advised he would not be continuing. Mariano Messera takes over in the interim.
It has been confirmed by the club on Tuesday that Argentine legend Diego Maradona is no longer the manager of Gimnasia LP.
Maradona gone from Gimnasia
The Napoli great had previously stated that he would stand down if the president, Gabriel Pelligrino, did not remain to fight another election. "If Pellegrino stays, I stay," he said on November 10 before the game against Aldosivi. Well, with Maradona tying his continuity to Pellegrino's, it looks as though that has driven the decision.
"Maradona stopped working today; he is no longer the coach of Gimnasia," Fox Sports News was told. "Messera [reserve coach] will take over the side for the game against Arsenal Sarandi."
The players and the official tried to convince the 59-year old to change his mind but they were unsuccessful.
Maradona's record reads five wins and three losses (winning three of the last five), and in those games the team has scored 13 goals and conceded 10. The club remains in the bottom three of the Argentine Superliga which consists of 24 teams.
Te recomendamos en English
- European football Cristiano Ronaldo hands Kylian Mbappé the throne
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos' contract talks are complicated
- Transfer talk PSG's Icardi could move to Juventus, suggests his agent
- Transfer talk Real Madrid and Man Utd target Van de Beek: Ajax hopeful
- MANCHESTER UNITED Pogba nowhere near ready for Man Utd return, says Solskjaer
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Marcelo has become a liability