Martínez: Belgium deserve to win Euro 2020... but it's not that simple
Belgium were in clinical form against Cyprus and, according to Roberto Martínez, look worthy winners of Euro 2020.
Roberto Martínez believes Belgium deserve to win Euro 2020 but acknowledges that will count for little if they do not perform at the finals.
Belgium completed their qualification campaign on Tuesday, thrashing Cyprus 6-1 to end with 10 wins from 10 in Group I, scoring 40 goals in the process.
Martínez has already seen enough to suggest Belgium are worthy of a maiden major international title, yet he knows there is plenty of work to do.
Belgium "need to get even better", says Martínez
"Whether we can win the European Championship, that is something that we have in our hands," head coach Martínez said. "We need to get even better and then we see if we can play another great tournament.
"We have set the standard at the World Cup [finishing third] and we are continuing to develop into a team with a great deal of togetherness. And the fans are also important.
"We now have seven months to become as good as possible. This team deserves to win the European Championship but, in football, it's not that simple."
Reflecting on qualifying, he added: "I think everyone just worked really well this year. The players know what to do and they do it with an incredible focus.
"Scoring six times and then playing again in this way is very good."
De Bruyne: "Very nice" to qualify with 100% record
Kevin De Bruyne, who scored twice in a playmaking masterclass against Cyprus, added: "It's always beautiful. Nobody has given it to us.
"Once you start the qualification, you have to go match by match and we did. It's very nice to finally get there [with 10 wins]."
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Real Madrid watch as tensions grow between Mbappé and PSG
- EURO 2020 Cristiano Ronaldo becomes European Championship's record goalscorer
- NBA Who are the highest paid NBA players in 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: what organizations are in favor of a new payment?
- US News Unemployment benefits: can you keep the payments if you go back to work?
- US News Which states have abolished federal unemployment benefits and why?