Diego Maradona u-turn to stay at Gimnasia
After announcing that he was leaving the role of manager of the Argentine club, the Napoli legend has confirmed he will see out his contract.
Yes then no, then another yes. Diego Armando Maradona had said he was leaving Gimnasia de La Plata but looks like he will now stay until his contract expires at the end of the season. His u-turn came after Gabriel Pellegrino, the outgoing president, said he would be remaining at the club.
A number of meetings took place between the current regime and the incoming party on Thursday. This resulted in Pellegrino being convinced to remain as part of the club, an essential condition for Maradona to continue.
According to Argentine outlet Doble Amarilla, the legendary number 10 told Pellegrino that he "would save El Lobo from relegation." He also said to fans that there was no need for the planned flag calling for his return and that the focus was on the upcoming game: "It is no longer necessary. Now let's think about Arsenal."
Maradona and his coaching staff will return to work with the squad on Friday, with all efforts aimed at getting the club back up the table.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Are the third stimulus checks included in 2021 IRS tax filing?
- MANCHESTER UNITED Solskjaer keeping 'fingers crossed' that Cavani stays at Man Utd
- USMNT Weston McKennie scores after facing fine for covid-19 breach
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Fastest US states to administer covid-19 vaccines
- US NEWS Covid-19 and vaccine in the US live updates: rate, where and when to get it, eligibility
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker