Diego Maradona u-turn to stay at Gimnasia
After announcing that he was leaving the role of manager of the Argentine club, the Napoli legend has confirmed he will see out his contract.
Yes then no, then another yes. Diego Armando Maradona had said he was leaving Gimnasia de La Plata but looks like he will now stay until his contract expires at the end of the season. His u-turn came after Gabriel Pellegrino, the outgoing president, said he would be remaining at the club.
A number of meetings took place between the current regime and the incoming party on Thursday. This resulted in Pellegrino being convinced to remain as part of the club, an essential condition for Maradona to continue.
According to Argentine outlet Doble Amarilla, the legendary number 10 told Pellegrino that he "would save El Lobo from relegation." He also said to fans that there was no need for the planned flag calling for his return and that the focus was on the upcoming game: "It is no longer necessary. Now let's think about Arsenal."
Maradona and his coaching staff will return to work with the squad on Friday, with all efforts aimed at getting the club back up the table.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu