Salah, Mané and Aubameyang on CAF shortlist for African Player of the Year award
CAF has released a 30-man shortlist for the 2019 African Player of the Year award, with Liverpool duo Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane included.
Mohamed Salah is targeting a third consecutive African Player of the Year trophy after being named on the preliminary list of nominees for the 2019 award. Salah defended his crown last year after scoring 44 goals for Liverpool and Egypt in 2018 and finishing as the 2017-18 Premier League Golden Boot winner with 32 goals.
Mané making a strong case
The 27-year-old faces stiff competition for this year's honour from his own Reds team-mate Sadio Mané. The Senegal international was joint top scorer in the Premier League last season with 22 goals alongside Salah and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who has also been named on the 30-strong list.
Other candidates completing the list
Manchester City and Algeria forward Riyad Mahrez, who won the award in 2016, is also included on the list announced by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
Aubameyang's Arsenal colleague Nicolas Pépé of the Ivory Coast is another on the list, along with Leicester City's Nigerian midfielder Wilfred Ndidi and Paris Saint-Germain's Idrissa Gueye, who represents Senegal.
Other prominent Europe-based players nominated are Ajax duo André Onana and Hakim Ziyech, Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, Atlético de Madrid's Thomas Partey and Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Carlos Vela will not play in the MLS is Back tournament
- US NEWS Trump Rallies for the 2020 presidential elections in the United States: schedule, dates and places
- Next Generation – Rayan Cherki, Lyon's latest academy gem earning links to Real Madrid, Man Utd
- CORONAVIRUS What is the bubonic plague, its symptoms and how it spreads?
- LALIGA LaLiga countdown: remaining fixtures for Real Madrid and Barcelona
- World Football Summit “The countries with the best response to Covid-19 were led by women, football should learn from that”