Marco Van Basten apologises for 'sieg heil' comment
Netherlands and Ajax great Marco van Basten has apologised after he used a term synonymous with the Nazi party live on television.
Former Netherlands, Ajax and AC Milan forward Van Basten was working as an analyst for Fox Sports on Ajax's Eredivisie clash with Heracles on Saturday.
Prior to the match, Fox presenter Hans Kraay interviewed Heracles coach Frank Wormuth in German.
However, Kraay's attempt at conducting the interview in German amused Van Basten, who said: "Sieg heil, not so beautiful, pancake."
That sparked significant controversy, with "sieg heil" having been a phrase commonly used in Nazi Germany before and during World War II.
Van Basten has subsequently apologised, insisting he did not mean to cause offence.
"I didn't mean to shock people, I just wanted to ridicule Hans' German, but I'm sorry," the 55-year-old said.
Van Basten's comments follow on from Excelsior player Ahmad Mendes Moreira receiving racist abuse from Den Bosch supporters in a second-tier match last weekend.
The incident prompted Netherlands star Georginio Wijnaldum to vow to leave the pitch if he was racially abused, as well as calling on the Dutch government to act.
Protests were also held across the top two tiers in the Netherlands this weekend, with players standing still for the opening minute of each match.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: can I get it if I also received the third stimulus check?
- US NEWS Lyrids meteor shower 2021: dates, times and how to see in the US
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Is it possible to use the money from the stimulus check to pay the rent or the mortgage?
- CORONAVIRUS US Coronavirus US: is a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine necessary?
- US NEWS How to get Covid-19 a vaccine appointment in Florida?