Irate Malmo fans set Zlatan statue on fire
"Himmelsblått" supporters earlier hung a toilet seat on the statue but took their frustration one step further on Wednesday night setting fire to the statue.
Following the news that Zlatan Ibrahimovic had become a part owner of Allsvenskan club Hammarby, Malmo fans earlier issued a statement stating the Rosengard born had "burned all bridges" with the club and city with the sky-blue supporters angry that the city native would take a stake in a Stockholm based club.
📆 October 2019 - Malmo build statue of club legend Zlatan Ibrahimovic.— Footy Accumulators (@FootyAccums) November 27, 2019
📆 November 2019 - Malmo fans set fire to the statue after Zlatan buys a 50% stake in rivals Hammarby.pic.twitter.com/mhxpHaignk
Kaveh Hosseinpour, vice chairman of Malmo supporters’ group MFF, spoke to local outlet Fotbollskanalen stating: “I have not heard anyone who thinks this is good. Everyone is extremely critical. Some are disappointed, some are angry and some think it is idiotic".
Earlier during Wednesday, the statue of Zlatan, who played for his home-town club for two years in 1999 was adorned with a toilet seat and later a plastic bag covered up the player's head. Events took a turn for the worse after nightfall with angry masked supporters setting fire to the nine foot bronze statue.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Real Sociedad vs Barcelona, how and where to watch: times, TV, online
- Coutinho 'on the right track', says Bayern Munich coach Flick
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Dejan Lovren could be out until the New Year
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: James Milner thrilled with new contract extension
- Lampard won't discuss future with out-of-contract players until January
- PREMIER LEAGUE Lampard: "I know Pulisic has a lot more to give to Chelsea"