Arsenal 'invincibles' sent 10 Russian models as distraction
Pascal Cygan, the former Gunner, revealed the about a trip to Moscow under Arsene Wenger for a Champions League group game.
Former Arsenal player, Pascal Cygan, revealed a story to La Voix du Nord that happened to the squad during the 2003/04 season. At that time, the Gunners were a force in Europe and featured the likes of Thierry Henry, Ashley Cole, Ray Parlour, Robert Pirès, Nwankwo Kanu, Sylvain Wiltord and Gilberto Silva. The anecdote refers to a Champions League group game in Moscow against Lokomotiv.
Gunners given girl greeting
Cygan does not specify whether the idea came directly from the opposing team, someone from the hotel or a fan of the club, but explains exactly what happened upon the Premier League side's arrival in Russia.
"When we entered our hotel in Moscow there were 10 Russian top models waiting for us. They were seated in front of the bar.
"We were later told that they had been there to tire us out through the night ahead of the match."
Distraction not excuse
Despite not playing well, and drawing 0-0, Cygan was quick to point out that the team's performance was nothing to do with the stunt.
"We didn't lose, and as far as I remember none of our players were stupid enough to fall into the trap. That was just as well, given the situation at that time.
"Stories about players' private lives used to appear regularly in the papers."
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Real Sociedad vs Barcelona, how and where to watch: times, TV, online
- Coutinho 'on the right track', says Bayern Munich coach Flick
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Dejan Lovren could be out until the New Year
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: James Milner thrilled with new contract extension
- Lampard won't discuss future with out-of-contract players until January
- PREMIER LEAGUE Lampard: "I know Pulisic has a lot more to give to Chelsea"