Arsenal 'invincibles' sent 10 Russian models as distraction
Pascal Cygan, the former Gunner, revealed the about a trip to Moscow under Arsene Wenger for a Champions League group game.
Former Arsenal player, Pascal Cygan, revealed a story to La Voix du Nord that happened to the squad during the 2003/04 season. At that time, the Gunners were a force in Europe and featured the likes of Thierry Henry, Ashley Cole, Ray Parlour, Robert Pirès, Nwankwo Kanu, Sylvain Wiltord and Gilberto Silva. The anecdote refers to a Champions League group game in Moscow against Lokomotiv.
Gunners given girl greeting
Cygan does not specify whether the idea came directly from the opposing team, someone from the hotel or a fan of the club, but explains exactly what happened upon the Premier League side's arrival in Russia.
"When we entered our hotel in Moscow there were 10 Russian top models waiting for us. They were seated in front of the bar.
"We were later told that they had been there to tire us out through the night ahead of the match."
Distraction not excuse
Despite not playing well, and drawing 0-0, Cygan was quick to point out that the team's performance was nothing to do with the stunt.
"We didn't lose, and as far as I remember none of our players were stupid enough to fall into the trap. That was just as well, given the situation at that time.
"Stories about players' private lives used to appear regularly in the papers."
Te recomendamos en English
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Haaland's competitive approach rubbing off on Dortmund team mates
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester's Ndidi to miss Man City clash
- Barcelona Barcelona: Martin Braithwaite presentation live online
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Dortmund's golden boys: Reyna, Haaland and Sancho
- Barcelona Braithwaite: "I'm a goalscorer so I'm here to score goals"
- Europa League Getafe vs Ajax live online: Europa League 2019-20