Piqué after 5-1 Clásico win: "Today is Lopetegui's last day as Real Madrid coach..."
Gerard Piqué told Rakuten CEO that Julen Lopetegui had already said his goodbyes to the Real Madrid squad after the team's 5-1 defeat to Barça.
The Week 10 meeting at Camp Nou was Julen Lopetegui's last game in charge at Real Madrid and Gerard Piqué knew before the media that the coach was on his way out. Piqué told Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani of Lopetegui's fate immediately after Barcelona's 5-1 win in last season's Clásico. "I think he's a good coach, but I think today is the last day of him as the coach of Real Madrid, " the Barça defender said. "The players of Madrid already told me that he said goodbye after the game - to the players. So maybe they already told him that he is out. I don't know..."
Piqué was proved right as Lopetegui was handed his marching orders the following day and Santiago Solari appointed as his replacement.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS US elections 2020: who are the three moderators for the presidential debates?
- US ELECTION USA election 2020: who won the first debate in 2016?
- Coronavirus Covid-19 surges continue in India as caseload surpasses 6 million
- PREMIER LEAGUE Diogo Jota delighted by Reds' reaction to first Liverpool goal
- REAL MADRID Zidane: "We already have a big squad, why would we want to add to it?"