Piqué after 5-1 Clásico win: "Today is Lopetegui's last day as Real Madrid coach..."
Gerard Piqué told Rakuten CEO that Julen Lopetegui had already said his goodbyes to the Real Madrid squad after the team's 5-1 defeat to Barça.
The Week 10 meeting at Camp Nou was Julen Lopetegui's last game in charge at Real Madrid and Gerard Piqué knew before the media that the coach was on his way out. Piqué told Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani of Lopetegui's fate immediately after Barcelona's 5-1 win in last season's Clásico. "I think he's a good coach, but I think today is the last day of him as the coach of Real Madrid, " the Barça defender said. "The players of Madrid already told me that he said goodbye after the game - to the players. So maybe they already told him that he is out. I don't know..."
Piqué was proved right as Lopetegui was handed his marching orders the following day and Santiago Solari appointed as his replacement.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Mexico to battle for bronze in Olympic softball
- OLYMPIC GAMES What the USWNT needs to advance to the quarter-finals at Tokyo 2020
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Who is in the USA golf team at the Tokyo Olympics 2021?