Manchester City played at a 'good level' in Newcastle draw says Guardiola
Jonjo Shelvey's late strike secured a 2-2 draw for Newcastle United but Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was not too hard on his team.
Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola insists he was happy with his side's performance despite Jonjo Shevley's late strike for Newcastle United denying his side all three points on Saturday afternoon.
Shelvey levels late
City looked like they were heading for a slender win after Kevin De Bruyne's stunning 82nd-minute strike, but Shelvey whipped home from 25 yards to seal a 2-2 draw for Steve Bruce's side.
City were far from their fluid best at St James' Park and ended the day 11 points behind leaders Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp's side overcame Brighton and Hove Albion at Anfield (2-1).
Guardiola, though, felt his players performed well enough to have taken all three points.
"We played at a good level," he said. "We moved well, we created enough chances – unfortunately that happens [Shelvey's goal]. In general, we played good. I think we played at the level of last season."
Asked if he was frustrated by the perceived negative tactics of the hosts, Guardiola responded: "It's what we have lived with for the last four years – it's always like this. We found a way today but at the end we conceded a goal."
Man City not giving up yet
Despite the gap to leaders Liverpool, defender John Stones says City have no intention of throwing in the towel in their bid for a third consecutive title.
"From elation to deflation; it's a difficult one to take," he said.
"It's still on because we will still fight until the last day like we did last season. The spirit has always got to be there because anything can happen in any game."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim