Ballon d'Or 2019: Messi expects his record to be broken
After picking up a record-breaking sixth Ballon d'Or, the Barça forward feels that one day another player will match or better the achievement.
Barcelona star Lionel Messi believes his record of six Ballon d'Or awards will be broken.
Messi beats Virgil van Dijk and Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi, 32, claimed the prize for a sixth time in Paris on Monday, beating Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo.
While only Ronaldo has also won the award at least five times, Messi feels someone can get more than six.
"I think so. I don't know who but it's possible," he told reporters.
"Records are made to be beaten, but I don't know who or when. But at the moment I hold the record and I'm very happy."
Sixth Ballon d'Or since 2009
Messi won his first Ballon d'Or in 2009 before his dominance led to him claiming the prize in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and this year.
The Argentina international said: "It was unimaginable to win one, let alone six.
"It's a joy to get six, it's very nice the recognition from others and it makes me proud."
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side
- MALLORCA-VALENCIA Sanction to rule Parejo out of Barcelona clash
- LALIGA Messi steers Barça to victory in Setien's first game