Modric on Messi's six Ballons d'Or: "It doesn't seem real"
The Croatian was on hand to give Messi the award he had won himself last year and said Messi is "one of the best players of all time".
Leo Messi recieved his record 6th Ballon d'Or on Monday night in Paris. Luka Modric, last year's recipient was on hand to give Messi the award and says he did it as a sign of respect to Messi.
"Sports and football are not just about winning, they're also about respect for your team-mates and rivals," Modric wrote on his social media accounts.
"It's something incredible when you see all the Ballon d'Ors there. It doesn't seem real, it just shows that he is an incredible player and that he is one of the best players of all time. Fair play for all he has done and well done," Modric told GOL after the ceremony.
"I'm happy to be here. I think football is about respect and when you don't win, out of respect, you have to be here as it is a celebration of football," he said.
Barcelona have responded to Modric's humility and comments. "A true gentleman," they said on their Twitter account.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match