Cristiano Ronaldo's sister lays into Ballon d'Or runner-up Virgil van Dijk
The sister of the Juventus striker vented her spleen on social media after the Liverpool star's joke about Ronaldo's absence from the Paris ceremony.
Lionel Messi beat Virgil van Dijk to the 2019 Ballon d'Or by a slender seven-point margin, the award's organisers have confirmed.
France Football declared Messi's record sixth victory to be among the narrowest in the 63-year history of the prestigious prize.
The Barcelona captain finished top of the count with 686 points, just ahead of Liverpool defender Van Dijk's 679.
Third-placed Cristiano Ronaldo, who did not attend Monday's ceremony, tallied 476 points, 210 fewer than long-time rival Messi.
Sadio Mané, fourth on 347 points, was the only other player to exceed the 200-mark.
Van Dijk: "Was Ronaldo a candidate?"
"The history of the award has had tighter scores, but the number of voting journalists - 176 this year - was [in the past] much smaller," read a post on France Football's website.
Runner-up Van Dijk praised Messi's "unnatural" ability and said he had complete respect for the 32-year-old.
When asked about five-time winner Ronaldo's absence, he joked: "Was he a candidate?"
Ronaldo's sister, singer Katia Aveiro, failed to see the funny side of the light-hearted comment, firing back at the Dutchman in a lengthy Instagram rant.
"Now, dear Virgil, where you are going, Cristiano Ronaldo has gone and has come a thousand times," she wrote.
"You see, my dear Virgil, that Cristiano Ronaldo was a three-time champion in the country where you have been playing for years and you still haven't got your hand on the trophy.
"Cristiano Ronaldo was even the best player and best scorer in the country where you play Virgil. By the way, he was even younger than you. Then, dear Virgil, Cristiano Ronaldo went to other places and became the greatest player in the history of a club... this club, with this Cristiano guy, even beat you in the Champions League final.
"Of these [Ballons d'Or], Ronaldo already has five, Virgil."
2019 Ballon d'Or points
Lionel Messi : 6⃣8⃣6⃣ points— #BallondOr (@francefootball) December 3, 2019
Virgil van Dijk : 6⃣7⃣9⃣ points
L'incroyable écart tout en haut du classement du #BallondOr France Football 2019 !
👉 Plus d'infos : https://t.co/crDU4o7OMW
👉 Le classement complet : https://t.co/TAsuGv2xkl pic.twitter.com/EqwDjC6k8f
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - 686
2. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool) - 679
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) - 476
4. Sadio Mane (Liverpool) - 347
5. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) - 178
6. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) - 89
7. Alisson (Liverpool) - 67
8. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) - 44
9. Bernardo Silva (Manchester City) - 41
10. Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City) - 33
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus checks: how many non-filers may be missing out on payment?
- Coronavirus When and how could a second stimulus check pass in the Senate?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how much money is the new plan supported by Trump?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: possible dates to approve a new relief bill before the election
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: how is the IRS contacting people for missing payments?