VAR offsides and handball laws a "mess": UEFA's new proposal
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin dislikes VAR, but confirmed it would be in operation at Euro 2020.
UEFA will ask football's lawmakers to introduce a margin error for offside calls in a bid to clean up the VAR "mess", Aleksander Ceferin has confirmed.
VAR offside law could change
Players, coaches and supporters have criticised the implementation of technology since its infiltration of the Premier League for the 2019-20 season.
Disallowed goals for extremely marginal offside decisions have proved particularly contentious, with controversial incidents arising on a regular basis.
UEFA president Ceferin said he understood the frustration of fans and would take up the issue with the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the body responsible for the Laws of the Game.
"If you have a long nose, you are in an offside position these days," Ceferin told the Mirror.
"Also, the lines are drawn by the VARs. So it's subjective drawing of objective criteria.
"So our proposal will be that it is a tolerance of 10-20 centimetres.
Handball! Not handball!
"Second thing, we had at UEFA the top coaches two weeks ago, in Nyon. There was Jürgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola, Max Allegri, Carlo Ancelotti, Zinedine Zidane.
"All the top coaches of European teams and our referee officer, Roberto Rossetti, shows a handball. He says: 'Handball or not?'
"Half the room said yes. Half said no. So tell me how clear the rule is. We don't know anything!"
Ceferin admitted he was "not a big fan" of VAR but confirmed it would be in operation at Euro 2020.
"Look, we simply have to, because the teams will all complain when there’s a mistake against them," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?